Steps for making Corn Mash
When the cornmeal gets dissolved in water completely, add sugar to the mixture. Just like cornmeal, add sugar slowly while stirring continuously. Maintain temperature of mixture between 120 degrees Fahrenheit to 145 degrees Fahrenheit. Keep an eye on the temperature while adding sugar to avoid scorching. If the temperature is too high, starch won’t convert to sugar. Keep stirring till sugar dissolves and consistency of mixture is thin gruel-like. Once the desired consistency is reached, remove the mixture from heat and set aside for cooling down. For cooling, you can also place the pot in a tub or sink filled with cold water.
On the other side, put yeast in 2 cups of warm water and stir till it dissolves completely. Once the cornmeal mix has cooled down, add the yeast mixture and malt extract to the mash. If you feel that the mash mixture is too thick, you can add little warm water to it. Now, transfer the mix to a glass jar and cover with a thin cloth. Place it in a warm location and leave aside for fermentation. To check if fermentation process is complete, check the froth that develops on top. If the foam stops growing, it indicates that fermentation process is complete. The foam is referred to as wort in distillation process.
The Distillation Process
Distillation can be done in the still made from pressure cooker or in readymade stills available in the market. This process separates alcohol from in form of ethanol from the foam produced in fermentation process.
In order to obtain the best results, it’s important that you follow these steps:
• First, use cheesecloth to strain the wash to separate wort from the mixture.
• If you are not using cheesecloth, you can siphon the wash for separating wort.
• Transfer the wort into still, and heat it slowly.
• Before you start heating, check the assembly of the entire equipment including bucket at end of condenser tube.
Bring to a boil slowly and once the temperature reaches between 120 degrees Fahrenheit to 140 degrees Fahrenheit start condensation process.
• For condensation, you need to start cold water on condenser tube.
• As the condenser starts to drip, start collecting in the bucket.
• It is better to throw away the first batch of around 50 ml as it is highly toxic.
• As temperature reaches 175 degrees Fahrenheit to 185 degrees Fahrenheit, ethanol starts dripping off the condenser. Ethanol cooling off is moonshine.
You might be thinking that the entire process is a bit complicated for a beginner. But the moment you get the hang of it, you’ll find it simple and easy to follow. Better yet, try to find moonshine still and enjoy its best taste. You’ll never regret drinking this type of wine. It’s actually one of the best in the market and loved by many especially during special occasions where both the guests and the host could settle for nothing but the best beverage.